The Tick List

Wednesday 30 May 2007

Food for thought

The biggest challenge I face right now is stopping my brain cells from slowly switching off. As I may have mentioned before there is a lot of downtime in this job and I’m on a holy quest to find something to do to fill it.
Anybody that’s spent a bit of time with me quickly realises that I abhor sitting idle with nothing to do (often indicated by a sudden shaking of my leg) and I normally just prefer go to sleep instead. But when you’re up at 5.30am and not usually sleepy till midnight, that’s a few too many hours to be spending asleep.

So, I guess this blog is one way to fill in sometime. Catch is that if I have enough time to write something decent, I probably don’t have anything too interesting to actually say either. Ah well, such is life.

But not today. I actually got a chance back in April to dash home to sort some things out, but also gave me a chance to repack. After umming and ahhhing I decided to bring my SnowPeak Giga Power liquid fuel stove.

Now for those of you who aren’t gear nuts like me, it’s basically a portable stove that runs of any high combustion liquid like kerosene, white gas or petrol. I have since discovered it runs very well on AVGAS and I have an unlimited supply of it from the planes that I’m working on.

So instead of getting stuck in a motel room eating cold soup and instant noodles every night, I can cook pasta properly, fry eggs, steak etc and have a decent meal without having to go out.

In the spirit of cooking and boredom avoidance, I decided to see what I could do with the stove to cook some quick healthy meals.

Lo and behold, warm or cold soba noodles in a tradtional Men Tsuyu soup.

One pack of soba noodles $2.50
A few sachets of complimentary motel sugar FREE
One bottle of Pearl River soy $2.20
One bottle of local dry white $5
One pack of dried Shitake mushrooms $2.30
A couple of fresh cup mushrooms $1.20
One red onion $0.60

Boil up the mushrooms in 500ml of water until soft
Throw in 125ml of wine and 125ml of soy sauce and the sugar
Add fresh mushrooms
Gentle boil until it looks all good
Set aside

Boil up soba in about 4 mins.

Add soba to soup and add onions
Tada! Dinner is served.



Nothing too flash, but sure beats Maccas everyday. All for about $15 and is enough for 3 nights of food. And not too bad tasting if I do say so myself. Hardly any fat, very little sugar and if you scale back the soy, not too much salt.

The sauce that’s made up can be kept over night and just chuck in new noodles the next night. One bunch of noodles is enough for most, 2 if I’m really hungry.

All ingredients were bought from Woolies btw. I used to bag out the Asian sections in supermarkets all the time. In Sydney that makes sense when you can get it cheaper and fresher from the asian store usually located right next door, but here in Isa, it’s a God send.

Well if I’m really struggling for food I could try this:





No comments: