The Tick List

Wednesday 5 September 2007

A different kind of paradise

Here we are, back again. In the paradise of all paradises the DRC. The moment I stepped off the plane I was reminded how bad a shithole this place really is. It seems in the week or so I was away, everyone got a bit more arrogant and a bit more corrupt. Trying to get a car into the airport was harder than getting a hooker into heaven but eventually after much swearing and gesturing we got through. The problem? I simply refused to pay the 'entrance tax' to the airport guards especially when we were getting charged drive on fees from the airport officials anyway. The guards simply wanted their lunch money.

Someone told me it takes 2 days for a tourist to become a racist in Africa. Well it took 2 months but I'm really sick of the hoops you have to jump through to get anything done. The DRC is a real fuckker of a place and I can't wait to get done here.


The upside it that we've moved to a nicer place where there's 24 hour electricity and decent food. Cheaper overall as well so the powers that be should be pleased. Also, we've managed to fix 90% of the equipment to the point where we can do some work and the weather seems to be holding out as well. So with any luck, I'll be out of Kananga and into Mbuji Mayi in a week or so. Sometimes you have to walk through hell to get to heaven.

No comments: