The Tick List

Saturday 9 June 2007

Ah stop complaining, your fingers will grow back

I’ve been looking around for some cheap snorkelling gear to send friends and fam at home as it seems the rain Gods have decided enough dry for now at least and started the deluge. It’s sad to hear people have died though amidst the wet and my heart goes out to the families who are affected.

Up here, yes we are getting the scraps of all this weather. Firstly it was a bit of rain and thunder, but now it’s just cold. And I mean COLD. I’m at the airport 6.00am every morning and the mercury is barely touching 5 degrees. Normally I wouldn’t bat an eyelid at cold weather, in fact revel in it, but up until yesterday my cold weather gear was putting on 2 pairs of shorts and 2 t-shirts on for the mornings.
Thankfully I found a lovely sporting shop with some winter cycling tops and gloves so I’m now reasonably toasty and I have some decent cycling gear for when I get back to Sydney. For those wondering why I didn’t just go to Kmart and buy a fleece jacket, well
a) I have a heap of them at home
b) I want to keep weight down
c) I needed some cycling gear anyway.

It’s not about to get any better either. I’m due to head out to Maralinga in a couple of days. Those of you not laughing at me right now, Maralinga is the place where the Brits decided it would be a great place to test a few nukes about 50 odd year ago.

It’s about 100kms inland from the south coast of Sth Aust and there’s nothing but flat desert out there. So add this cold stuff we’ve been getting, I’m expecting to be chipping ice of the plane before we get started in the mornings.

Well, at least it will be good conditioning should I eventually get to work in Canada/Alaska/Greenland.

Oh, I got my new toy. Here’s a pic.




Cort SFX 5 limited edition in blonde. Great sound. Small and light which is great for travel and wasn’t too expensive. Very happy camper. Been annoying the neighbours for a few days now with my musical aspirations.

As mentioned previously, I really need to get some more exercise. I’m starting to feel very portly at the moment. I’m also considering doing a quick climbing trip to Thailand in Oct, so I’d better get in shape otherwise the only climbing will be to the bar and back. I did buy a basketball though…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there Alex.
Dont you think its about time for an up date....

Haley